Sunday, February 21, 2016

pennants...


I found this really cool quilt made of souvenir pennants on 1stdibs. It is such an original use of textiles that might otherwise end up in the garbage after their sentimental appeal was lost. The colours and typefaces make a beautiful and graphic design. I've seen quilts made of other unconventional fabrics such as dish towels, work clothing, bandanas and even candy wrappers. This quilt  inspires me to try something similar with a box of horse show ribbons from younger days. Need to figure out the best way to sew them- foundation piecing? What's the most unusual material you've ever used or seen?


8 comments:

  1. Oh my golly! I LOVE this quilt!!! It's so festive, like one of those wheels that you spin for prizes at a fair. I take my hat off to the quilter that made it. I think the most unusual quilts I've seen was a quilt made with eppilettes from soliders uniforms and another quilt of 1inch squares of different coloured woollen army uniforms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I think I've seen that soldier's quilt. Wasn't he British. I remember a whole bunch of very intricate almost like marquetry woolen quilts made by him out of uniforms. Thanks for jogging my memory:)

      Delete
  2. Wow! Fabulous quilt. I'll enjoy seeing what you do with your horse ribbons someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someday may be the operative word:0 Too many ideas...Never enough time.

      Delete
  3. I stumbled on these a couple of weeks ago - cool! http://www.wyndedyer.com/tarp-quilts.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! Thank you so much for the link!!! Fascinating:)

      Delete
  4. what a fun piece! Horse ribbons would be a great source material to use and display your history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it would be great to have that pennant quilt hung on a wall. The horse show ribbons are just collecting dust and this pennant quilt sort of sparked an idea. Anyway, I was never a good enough rider that the ribbons are all blue and red so at least my version would be colourful:)

      Delete