Wednesday, November 11, 2015

hexagon overload...


Hexagon quilts have been trendy for quite awhile now and just when you think you've seen it all this antique wonder pops up. Sewn in the late 1800's, it comprises hexagons measuring only 3/4" sides. The size of this quilt is also a staggering 7x6 feet. I love the bulls-eye effect of the red concentric circles. People who hand sew always claim that these tops are easier to make than one would think because of their portability and the ability to piece in stolen moments. I remain unconvinced and am in awe of the effort that went into making this quilt...


7 comments:

  1. EPP really is easy and mindless. I sit and stitch and listen to NPR. However, the thought or l3/4" hexies is daunting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must give it a go! I find all these quilts so inspiring. Listening to NPR while stitching sounds heavenly:)

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh! This quilt is incredible. Love those red and white stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen this quilt before, thank you so much for sharing it, I absolutely love it. Those red circles are brilliant and the size is mind boggling. Hexis are fun to sew because as you say they're portable and you can get little bits done in spare moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome! This quilt is an inspiring but the effort involved is blindingly intimidating:)

      Delete
  4. I've never seen this quilt before and it is fascinating. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I've got more than 30 English paper pieced quilts that I've made and I can tell you that 3/4" may sound small but it is actually a very nice size to work with and it fits very comfortably in the hand. EPPing is very portable and you can make your quilt in sections so it remains portable almost to the very end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you are the master (mistress?) of this kind of quilt. I thought of you when I saw it! I'll take your word on it as to the ease of EPP at this scale. Am still at the stage of admiring rather than doing:)

      Delete