Friday, November 27, 2015

black tie...



Finally got a chance to play around with the beautiful blocks I received from the Modern Bow Tie Swap organized by the lovely and evidently super-organized Barb. I received 80 4" finished blocks and love them on their own. However, I want a bigger quilt so instead of making more- the bow ties are set with some 54-40 or Fight Stars (interesting block history here). The black print is less black in real life and competes less with the colours than in the photos. From a distance there are lots of secondary circle patterns from both the swap blocks and the stars. Still need to play with the arrangement but so far am pretty pleased. If I still like it by the end of the weekend, will sew it together and start thinking about the quilting.  Many thanks to Barb and the other participants. The variety of prints is fantastic. Love each and every one!




10 comments:

  1. Wow! Love the secondary patterns you get with the stars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so in love with the variety of blocks you got! And then there is your very creative setting -- excellent!
    You are making me want to do this swap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This was my first and you're right the variety of fabrics is fantastic. Would love to do another swap. You must join the next one! :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Yes secondary patterns- circles upon circles upon circles- a happy accident!

      Delete
  3. What a fun setting for bow-tie blocks! Lovely result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It was tremendous fun to be a part of the swap. Never would have made bow tie blocks on my own steam but find are a really effective block and can be set in so many ways...

      Delete
  4. just love how this looks with the bow ties! those stars are super

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for including me! It will be fascinating to see the variations that come from the same blocks. So much fun- my first and hopefully not last block swap:)

      Delete
  5. Love the combination of bow ties and 54-40 Or Fight blocks. There is so much movement in this quilt top. Sorry to be so late in commenting but I am so far behind in my reading and am desperately trying to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Karen! It was an experiment that worked. I'm behind blog reading too. Instagram is easier when you're busy but I like reading the more in depth posts of blogs. I'll be visiting yours soon:)

      Delete