Tuesday, October 20, 2015

rwanda meets greece....




Today is a show and tell of some beautiful African fabrics. My amazing friend Katie spent a month in the summer in Rwanda volunteering with DODA. This non-profit organization teaches the widows and orphans who survived the Rwandan genocide how to sew and thus create a source of employment.
Very generously she gave me these gorgeous fabrics from the market in Kimironko. Trying in vain to tidy up, they were stacked against Anna Maria Horner's new collection of Loominous. AMH's fabrics are highly saturated woven cottons subtly shot with lurex inspired by the hand loomed pieces of her Greek family heritage. This turned out to be a happy accident of juxtaposition as these two groupings look great together!



6 comments:

  1. Yes, something wonderful could happen with the pieces from this war-torn part of the world & those pretty plaids. I love the photo of the women sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, things are much more stable politically but it is amazing how tragically long the after effects of war last...

      Delete
  2. That is often how I come up with my fabric combinations. Things get piled up or spread out and I see combinations I would not have otherwise thought of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well this is is a very validating reason for the mess I call my sewing space. Glad it's working for you too:)

      Delete
  3. Yes, great combinations. Thanks for the link to the volunteer organization. It's something I'd like to do someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nifty! It was such an extraordinary experience, my friend is now fully committed to volunteer tourism. I'd like to go next year. You should definitely do it!

      Delete