Tuesday, September 22, 2015

red & white...


 Finally, this book "Red & White Quilts Infinity Variety" arrived after months even years of waiting! This book chronicles the 2011 exhibition by the American Folk Art Museum in NYC. Although I would have loved to seen all these quilts suspended by aircraft cables (by all accounts it was visually extraordinary) owning this book is a reasonable substitute. It is beautiful and contains 650 quilts all in red and white from the collection of Joanna Rose. There are some fascinating articles about the collection, the history of red and white patchwork and the staging of the show. The quilts themselves are organized into chapters comprising: Wholetops, Log Cabins, Pictorial, Strips, Squares and Rectangles, Triangles, Stars, Curves, Applique, Signature, Redwork and Crib quilts. The title says it all. The variety is truly infinite...




4 comments:

  1. I was lucky enough to be at the exhibit and it was amazing! You are the first person I have seen giving us a review. I am going to have to add this to my library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lucky you! Can't remember why we couldn't go. Some lousy grown-up reason no doubt. Am going through the book slowly and it's funny you commented because I've been thinking of your red and white Lone Star while reading it:)

      Delete
  2. I was able to go twice to see this amazing event. It really was something! I am getting the book for myself for Christmas. I know it will be worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I literally just ordered it just in case it sells out!

    ReplyDelete