Tuesday, September 15, 2015

bow ties...



 
Joined my first block swap organized by the funny and talented Barb featuring bow ties in modern fabrics. While the swap is now closed you can find her excellent block tutorial here . These are super fast to sew and it is easy to see why historically so many of these quilts are scrappy. They make good use of leftover fabric. There are also myriad ways to set these blocks. Above are mine and I can't wait to see what arrives in the mail from the other participants!

This vintage quilt is currently on Ebay. Love the jade solid...


Another crisp vintage yet modern-looking example...


Interesting setting in a pattern from the Temecula Quilting Company...


Lastly my favorite- a beautiful improv bowtie made by the incomparable Kattie Pennington in 1985.


4 comments:

  1. Hooray for bow tie quilts! these are fun. Love the one on ebay. Looking forward to getting your blocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for organizing this! I think you may have hooked a few of us on this block:)

      Delete
  2. Such beautiful examples of old bow tie quilts! That last one is wonderful! I was tempted by that swap. Then I remembered that I have two bow tie flimsies to quilt. One is really old and one I made about 9 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see your bow ties quilts! Please show:)

      Delete