Tuesday, September 1, 2015

$5...


Continuing the theme of the perception of ugliness- I bought this quilt for $5 at a yard sale. It was actually being used to protect a number of greasy auto parts from a driveway. The owner seemed shocked that I was interested in buying the dirty "blanket" rather than the metal sitting on top of it. It stank but after a wash is now faded but pristine. It is not the most beautiful quilt in the world but it needed rescuing and a good home. My husband, on the other hand, views this wholesale embrace of the unwanted and the unloved as a worrying trend...

Finally, in tribute to the waning of summer holidays here are some dolphin-garnished cocktails from Lucky Peach. Enjoy!




12 comments:

  1. That's one fabulous quilt! Great rescue. Love those banana dolphins too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LeeAnn! It really felt like a rescue. I know intellectually that a quilt is an inanimate object but you could feel the love and the effort that went into it:) There was no way the quilt wasn't coming home:)

      Delete
  2. I do love this pattern. What a buy! Those banana dolphins are too funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sujata! The quilt was so forlorn it had to come home with me in spite of Beloved Other Half's eye-rolling:)

      Delete
  3. You can't get anything for $5! But you got someone's handy work! And saved it from being a grease mat! It isn't the most beautiful thing in the world, but then, neither am I, & I think I deserve some respect. I am so glad you saved this dear thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay you! Love those vintage looking fabrics and the bold looking pinwheels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you although I'll have to show some restraint in the future:)

      Delete
  5. those bananas gave me such a chuckle! Love them and the quilt is wonderful! lol my husband often has the same worries :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All beverages should have banana dolphins:) Perhaps by their estimation we've already filled the house with things deemed beautiful.

      Delete
  6. Oh dear, if rescuing that quilt is a worrying trend, I'm in trouble right with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's always good to have company:)

      Delete