Friday, August 14, 2015

ugly fabric...


Found this listing for fabric on Ebay. It describes this print as being ugly, weird and bizarre. While not appealing to me in any way this fabric got me thinking. Is there such a thing as fabric that is too ugly? Bonnie Hunter would say it just needs to be cut up enough. Have you ever seen or bought (?!) a fabric that you felt was irretrievably awful? Can anything me made to look beautiful?

Also apologies, am inexplicably having problems receiving comments these days so please excuse me if it takes awhile to get back to you. I really appreciate your thoughts!

9 comments:

  1. No! No such thing! Odd, challenging, perhaps, but never ugly.
    Years ago, I worked in a quilt shop & was helping a quilter pull together fabrics. One really made them all sing when combined, but she wouldn't buy it. Too ugly, she said. I think it is those oddballs that give our quilts wings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautifully put smazoochie! Had an instructor that said every good design has a bit of poison in it...

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with smazoochie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would be a perfect fabric for a One block wonder quilt!!! how much was there if you have 6 repeats you have an amazing quilt in the works

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you are right! I hope someone buys it and makes something beautiful...

      Delete
  4. I do have and have seen fabrics that are really not my taste so I would probably put them in the awful category. Unusual fabrics like yours are a challenge to work with but with thought and careful use I think they can lead to something really spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't bought it in spite of feeling challenged but hope someone does good things with it:)

      Delete