Sunday, August 2, 2015

indian horse...


Finally had some time to draft the horse pattern for my Indian Marwari quilt. The weather is stormy and our motivation to leave the house this evening was low.

Tried to draw straight onto the fabric but horses are peculiar animals in that while extraordinarily beautiful moving, standing still they are disproportionate and rather top heavy with delicate legs. Eventually, I drew the outline with some inspiration from various online images on regular letter size paper. Thanks to Splitprint I tiled the drawing up to the just under 4 ft size needed. I love this app and have used it to make patterns for both tiny and very large images.

Now to think about the elaborate surface embroidery and quilting. Know what I want to do but it may be ambitious for my skill set...


10 comments:

  1. Four feet is huge! Wow! This is going to be incredible! Marwari is going to be beautiful. You probably know - Marwari is the name of certain community who lived in what was called Marwar - The province bordering neighboring Pakistan. I am excited to see this horse come to life with your detailing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sujata. I've been reading lots about the history and various clans of India. What a rich and fascinating country you hail from!

      Delete
  2. Great Great horse! Love the composition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barb. I'm just thrilled it is recognizable as a horse:)

      Delete
  3. I say jump in and do it. Skill sets aren't stagnate - they are constantly improving and advancing so it isn't as though there is an end point. Have fun and enjoy doing and learning as you go. This quilt is going to be amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Karen! Have been advised to start stitching from centre out but if I improve as I go, the worst quilting may be where the eye is immediately drawn. Advice?

      Delete
  4. I love the way you're following your dream--literally! Also love the background and horse. It's going to be a knockout quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you LeeAnn! Am going to take my time finishing this one and combine hand embroidery and all those machine stitches I’ve never used…

      Delete
  5. What a large size; intimidating to me! Sounds like it will be wonderful! (P.S. Do start in the middle. I've done one larger piece in my life and did not start stitching in the middle. I wasn't able to keep the right tautness and the fabric ended up pulling in different directions, couldn't keep the fabric smooth, etc....not good)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the advice Sue! The middle it is...

      Delete