Wednesday, March 25, 2015

#1718 quiltalong...


Am learning a lot making this quilt. Have discovered that I may be the slowest applique sewer in the world. While quite absorbing, even relaxing to sew, making these blocks I could literally feel myself aging:) Of more importance, I've learned that I should never trim a block late at night and/or when tired. Managed to trim an extra 1/8" off two sides of one of them and at an angle no less. Am hoping that when it is all put together that the busyness of the quilt disguises all the errors. Whingeing aside, this top is fun to make and it is amazing to see all the different fabrics people are using. Search for 1718 Quiltalong on Facebook and join in. You know you want to... 

12 comments:

  1. These are so pretty! I've been gathering and playing with my fabrics, but haven't made a block yet. I'm late to the party, but will be there one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you L. Am worried they are boring and am having some doubts. I thought you had decided to use your Dutch fabrics?

      Delete
  2. love love love your 1718 blocks, I just spied them on the FB group this morning, so fab! Nothing wrong with being a slow appliqué 'er either ;-) I'm up there for that award too! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jessie! Are you making this too? Will have to check your blocks out!

      Delete
  3. Great fabric choices! You are well on your way to a very exciting and interesting quilt! Love it, love it, love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Karen! Sure you're not tempted?

      Delete
  4. I see now, I had missed couple of your posts! I love this project and your applique block.. I saw the book and was quite drawn to it because of its history. Still thinking about it. I want to :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should Sujata! It is so different from the sorts of quilts you usually make too. I'd love to see your version!

      Delete
  5. Feel yourself aging, I almost fell out of my chair laughing! It will be worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I wish that sentiment was exaggerated but it aint:)

      Delete
  6. Applique is like that, but the end result is usually well worth the effort.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is quite satisfying to do. Hopefully, you get faster with practice!

      Delete