Friday, September 12, 2014

let there be light...


Well we are back from some ferry hopping and beach time with cell phones turned off. In the modern age it feels subversive to go off the grid. A bit caught up in the film festival but am feeling refreshed and looking forward to lots of sewing. As written in a previous post, I love the Juki in every way but one. It could do with more lighting. At a hardware store, I found this LED product pictured above.

It is quite thin, can use rechargeable batteries and the adhesive hook and loop strip is repositionable. Here are the before and after shots unfortunately taken with my phone...



Now the LED is just over half an inch thick so it may get in the way when quilting but for piecing it really lights up the bed without any heat or an electrical cord getting in the way. I bought two lights as I think my serger could use one...

Also on a final and exciting note, the much anticipated this and the sure to be interesting that arrived in the mail so book reviews to follow. As well, there is the most beautiful (and sadly only borrowed) antique quilt given to my friend by her client that you all must see...

random holiday shots for my Mum:)





10 comments:

  1. since I have that same Juki, I just may have to give that LED light a try! Right now I use an extra Ott-light that sits next to my machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would prefer a proper lamp but have run out of nearby plugs!

      Delete
  2. Really looking forward to your book reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen just need to find a quiet moment to read them!

      Delete
  3. Amazing I need one of those lights!
    Looks like a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see using them in other places too where you don't want the expense or bother of rewiring. Although I guess in your house that is not an issue :) Lucky you!

      Delete
  4. That light is a great idea! I have to get some of those. Nice beach photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb! The hardware store is often a good resource for sewists:)

      Delete
  5. Great post, thanks. As I get older (sadly, but inevitable), I find that a lack of light in my sewing room often gets in the way of me enjoying the process. LED lights are cool and clear - I must get one. Cheers, Lisa in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I'm not enjoying aging eyes either:)

      Delete