Saturday, August 9, 2014

sampler quilt...


This antique sampler quilt is from the late 1800's. The seller suggests that the fabrics have probably faded with age but the present color combination looks very modern. I've been thinking of making a sampler quilt in the hopes that the variety of blocks keeps things interesting: that is, when I get my sewing room tables back after several large pieces of furniture painted by my other half dry. This kind of friendly takeover is the danger of having the largest flat surfaces in the house. Have you ever made a sampler quilt? Did you use a pattern? Re-create an antique like this quilt? Am thinking of choosing blocks that are symbolic of events in our lives... Thoughts?



12 comments:

  1. I think it is a wonderful idea, maybe do a QAL?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure I have the organizational skills for a formal QAL but posting block by block is a great idea!

      Delete
  2. My mother does a BOM which is samples of blocks every year through a store then we get together and put them together. Most times I will design a new way to put them together only once we used the store version. I have some misfit blocks that I will be putting together, these were from guild BOM not finished in time or just blocks that didn't make the cut in a quilt. Love these kinda quilts there is so much interesting corners to look at. I think your idea would be great lets see what you do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debra! I love Victoria Findlay Wolfe's annual orphan block quilts so maybe I should have a look and see what's already kicking around... I'd love to see a shot of one of yours!

      Delete
  3. I've never made sampler but the one you showed is tempting. It is a beauty and I love the limited colour palette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you would make one because I'd love to see how you quilted each block!

      Delete
  4. The colors do look very Modern. I really like it. I've made a few Sampler quilts. The last one I made was designed by Lori Holt of Bee In My Bonnet. It was more vintage looking than Modern, but I love the Row type Samplers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her row by row sampler book is worth buying just for all the sewing techniques!

      Delete
  5. Lovely quilt. I'm a fan of the sampler quilt as long as the fabrics are cohesive. I wrote a pattern with Rosemary Youngs last year that was an entirely paper-pieced sampler of Civil War Diary blocks that I absolutely love. It's one of our most snuggled and loved quilts here in our house. I think I'm gonna make another with florals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's right! I must crawl through your archives to find yours for inspiration:)

      Delete