Sunday, August 17, 2014

quilts on the creek...


It may seem odd to visit a re-creation of a Canadian 18th century pioneer village to buy modern African fabric but that's what I did yesterday. "Quilts at the Creek" is an annual show rather like the "Sisters" show where hundreds of quilts are hung in a beautiful setting called Black Creek Pioneer Village. Unfortunately, rain set in so most of the quilts not sheltered were being quickly taken down before we could see them. I did manage to get a shot of the quilt above made by Valerie Prideaux. It was sewn with  Cherrywood Hand Dyes and was positively luminous in the grey light.


Embroidering under a tree...


Loved this quilt's simple design echoed by the barn boards behind it.


Pioneer woman who devastated M. by telling him there were no baked goods to sample from the bread oven...


Lastly, the Shweshwe fabric. This African fabric is created through a discharge and printed roller technique. It is similar to Balinese batiks but much finer in detail. I have some in the traditional blue and white indigo but thought you might find the green and black interesting. It is apparently called "the denim of South Africa" due to its long-standing popularity. I bought it from this lovely vendor. We are on the move again here and there for the next couple of weeks so expect even fewer sewing posts but hopefully more fabric purchases ones:) Hope everyone is having a great summer (or winter- hello Australia)!



13 comments:

  1. It's really fun to see what is going on with Quilting events in Canada. Sorry to hear the rain cut things short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nedra! What we did see was beautiful. I think the pioneer heritage is very similar between the USA, Canada and Australia-well up to the War of Independence of course:)

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh I love all those quilts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I have some friends who went today and while it was overcast no rain so they saw all of the quilts. Couldn't convince M. to go again before we hit the road unless I could guarantee that the fresh tarts they usually bake would be there:)

      Delete
  3. There is always a great show of quilts at Black Creek Pioneer Village. The quilts always look spectacular in the natural light!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I only wish we had gone on the Sunday...

      Delete
  4. Beautiful fabric! I hadn't known about this type before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would love the indigos! They don't photograph well on the vendors website but they are really beautiful in "real life".

      Delete
  5. I would love to go to Sisters during the open air Quilt festival, but now I also have another goal : this village :-) Looks so wonderful! So are the quilts. Sorry that you could not see the whole exhibition...
    As for the African fabrics, they look different from the ones we can find in West Africa : smaller and finer prints, sober colors... Love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Sisters" is definitely on my list too. Yes, the West African fabrics I have seen are beautiful but simpler and bolder in design. Do you live there?!

      Delete
    2. I lived in Ivory Coast with my parents a long time ago!
      I will put a link to this post on my blog in 2 days.
      By the way, love to read your blog :-) thanks to Nifty Quilts' blogroll!

      Delete
  6. More photos from this show can be found here... https://www.flickr.com/photos/republic_of_me/sets/72157646184487590/ -and thanks for the praise for my quilt (cherrywood fabrics quilt)! This is a wedding gift for my nephew and his new bride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! What a beautiful quilt and what a wonderful gift! You'll have people lining up to marry into your family:) Thank you so much for the link to the photos of the show...

      Delete