Thursday, July 24, 2014

weird marketing...



This has to be the weirdest marketing stategy. This is the label from the women's gardening gloves I just bought. Macho or what? Am not sure if I'm supposed to be weeding flower beds or on on some paramilitary special ops mission.

It seems symbolic as I've been at war with the manufacturer of my overpriced and over-engineered sewing machine. After months at headquarters it still couldn't sew a balanced stitch. It was very emotional as I've been loyal to the brand since I started sewing. My dealer is amazing. Even though he didn't sell me this machine he was so upset on my behalf he offered to trade it on the spot for no additional $$$. Have come home with a different brand a new Janome 8900 with a table and every optional accessory imaginable. Little time to sew but so far I love it. Between this and the portable Juki I am set up for life...

Hope all your sewing adventures have been peaceful!

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new--and satisfactory--sewing machine! Sounds like the battle was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was worth it but exhausting! It made me realize that the person you are buying a machine from is probably as important as what you are buying:)

      Delete
  2. Not sure about what you should be doing wearing those gloves!
    Sewing should be fun, glad you got a new machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! You're right sewing should be fun. I'm grateful for the new machine but feel bad for other people who are still saddled with the same lemon...

      Delete
  3. I guess gardening is not an activity for the feint of heart!
    As for your machine I share your frustration. There is nothing worse than a machine than is riddled with problems and issues. I have a Janome 7700 and when it works it is great but when there are problems (which there often are) it is beyond frustrating. I can't tell you how many times I've had it in for servicing and it has gone back to Janome at least three times. Janome has been great but the machine often takes the pleasure out of sewing. I've recently bought a Juki TL2010Q mechanical machine and it does everything I want and performs like a dream at less than half the price of my Janome. I hope your new 8900 puts the fun back in sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rationale for the trade was there was nothing to lose. If the Janome turns out to be a lemon at least it is a different one. The Bernina was a heartbreaker. I'm sorry to hear about your machine. I've heard the 7700 has problems for some but so far the 8900 is good. Unlike cars that have consumer protection these expensive machines seem rushed to market. I wrote about why I bought the Juki 2010Q out of desperation to sew while my machine was away for months in an earlier post for much the same reasons as you. There is no drama with it. It will be my workhorse and the other more for apparel as it as a free arm and multiple stitches. Here's to both of us putting the fun back in sewing! :)

      Delete
  4. Glad you got your machine traded in with a new one.. I hope your sewing adventures are stress free and fun from now on. Nothing like a sewing machine stopping you from creating when mind races a mile a minute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sujata! Am hoping to log some serious sewing mileage in the next week when I have some time off :)

      Delete