Friday, July 11, 2014

stolen afternoon...



I had a long list of grown up things to do this afternoon but decided to do some sewing instead and work on the quilt from the previous post. These disappearing hourglass blocks are still really fun to make. Maybe I am easily entertained but it still seems like magic when the pieces are rotated and the stars appear.

Am finding that the bias edges work in your favor as you can gently manipulate the fabric so that the seams nest without using pins at all. Except for the hourglass stage, there is no iron pressing either until the block is complete to avoid unnecessary handling which is saving a ton of time. The blocks are turning out remarkably similar in size. If they are off in any way they are off identically.

Sorry about the lousy photo but the camera phone was again closer. The lighting is not so great either. I'm experimenting with these new florescent floods in the hopes of reducing my electricity use but they create more of a spotlight effect compared to the wider glow of halogen bulbs. Not sure whether economy is going to win out on this one...

4 comments:

  1. These blocks are looking really good!

    Just this month I have been buying new LED lights at Canadian Tire. They are finally available with fairly bright output and clean coloured light - not too blue or too yellow. I haven't tried them for photos yet, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monica for the tip! I'll check out the LEDs. I like the color of these bulbs. They are just too focused as opposed to the wash of light with the halogens.

      Delete
  2. This is on the top of my to-do list. They would be so easy to make with Triangles On A Roll and I want to experiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could definitely make it with Triangles On A Roll it just might take longer. The magic of the construction is the way the initial half square triangle blocks are made with a single seam from the two squares. When the hourglass is cut that perimeter seam becomes all the interior seams. This is hard to describe but if you make one you'll see what I mean:) In any case I'd love to see your version!

      Delete