Friday, June 27, 2014

new machine juki 2010q...



I try to keep the personal and particularly the negative personal off the blog but we have a sick (thankfully now relatively stable) family member who lives far away necessitating travel and life has been stressful. My brilliant but temperamental sewing machine is at the manufacturer's headquarters being overhauled with no return date in sight so I haven't been able to sew. Never realized how much I manage pressure by making things until now. Every time I'm worried my husband always suggests going to my studio to create something. It is a rare man who asks you to go out and buy an extra new sewing machine but mine did...

I decided to get the most pared down machine as close to being mechanical as possible with the longest throat I could find for similar reasons better articulated by Jacquie Gering in this post. At a fantastic price, I ended up buying a Juki 2010Q. So far, the whole experience is a love story. First impressions are that the stitch quality is perfect straight out of the box. It is also easy and straightforward to adjust upper and bobbin tensions as well as foot pressure. It is also nice to have a presser foot lever again as my most recent sewing machine does not. I love the simplicity of it. What few bells it has are good ones. They include an automatic thread cutter, sewing speed control, needle down, knee lifter and every foot including walking that a quilter or tailor could need. It is also semi-industrial which means it is solid but portable for workshops.

With no fiddling, I've been able to sew well mindlessly. The only problem I am having is that pressing the heel of the pedal on this machine cuts the thread as opposed to raising or lowering the needle as on my other one. I also can't figure out how to use the needle threader but the same issues arise assembling IKEA products from their diagrams so this is my problem. While I miss my regular machine and many of its innovations, am enjoying the reliability and lack of drama with this Juki- Absolutely love it!

12 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your ailing relative. Congratulations on your new Juki! Thank goodness for sewing, especially in the hard times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LeeAnn! Both our parents had kids late in life so it feels like this is all happening too early. Am amazed by how using this new Juki is so soothing ...

      Delete
  2. Hi Susanna,
    Glad your loved one is stable now. I have a viking with pretty much the same quality with a button to cut the tread.LOVE it. I am sure you will figure out all the necessary details of this new love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your good wishes Sujata. I've stuck a post-it note on the machine to remind me of the pedal and will look on Youtube for threader tutorials:) Your Viking sounds like a no nonsense keeper!

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear your stress-management system is back in action with a new machine. A good part of my sewing is done for similar reasons. This Juki is on my wish list for that lovely future day when I can both justify and afford a second machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie! It was either a new machine or a red wine IV and I don't drink:) I hope you find that day soon to get your Juki!

      Delete
  4. I agree, nothing like a little studio time to combat stress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your studio time is proving de-stressing too. I knew intellectually that I felt relaxed after sewing but I didn't realize how unhappy I could become without sewing. Knitting just doesn't cut it:)

      Delete
  5. Family members being sick is always stressful hope things get better soon.
    What a great husband! enjoy your new machine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! He is phenomenal. I am lucky:)

      Delete
  6. I just bought the same machine just a few days ago!! And I am completely in love with the Juki 2010Q for the very same reasons you are. There are a few You Tube video's out there that help you with threading, that show how the needle threader works, too. Although I have not mastered it yet, either. But, I've never been good with needle threaders.
    So sorry to hear about your family member's illness, and the extra stress. My prayers and thoughts are with you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats Nedra! The sad truth is I've now looked at the videos and still can't work the threader :0 Well, if you can't either at least I'm in good company! Thank you for your kind words...

      Delete