Friday, May 2, 2014

new gwen marston book...


Anyone who has ever sewn a wonky anything owes a great deal to Gwen Marston: a seer-like elder of modern quilting. Evolving from a traditional quilting background, she is one of the pioneers of improvisation. Her process is to make quilts without patterns intuitively and that by definition are personal and unique.

Her latest book is called "Minimal Quilting"  and it owes more to modern art than craft. These minimal quilts are influenced by visual artists such as AlbersRothko and Klee among others rather than conventional textile traditions. With each progression in her career, GW's work gets more and more abstract. The designs are about as stripped down as possible without becoming wholecloths yet are subtle and beautiful in their austerity. It is a fascinating read...





8 comments:

  1. Read about this book on a post from Quiltdivajulie and now you also have one- mine should arrive today or Monday - thanks for showing the photos above - looks glorious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well am not sure I should have posted them but book reviews without shots are kind of useless. Let me know what you think!

      Delete
  2. Oh my I have been waiting to hear if this was a good book or not! I am so glad you like it. I am ordering mine right now.
    I agree a book review without pictures is kind of boring.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well as I said to Maureen some of the quilts left me a bit cold but I love the ones with the broad planes of color. Anyway I'd rather be provoked than bored:)

      Delete
  3. Her quilting of each piece really knocks them into the park. Beautifully done.
    Thanks for sharing this new book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome N! Gwen Marston is definitely on the "bucket list" of people I'd love to take a workshop from...

      Delete
  4. Great review. Just got my copy. I love Gwen's work and the others', although I find my two favorite quilts in the book are the least minimal. Maybe someday I'll figure out how to be more minimalist. Probably not soon!

    ReplyDelete