Thursday, April 10, 2014

new kathy doughty book and some news...


While busy sewing the test quilt that I wrote about here, some very enticing things arrived in the mail. I forced myself to put Material Obsession Kathy Doughty's new book aside until I could look at it properly. Like all her others, it is filled with innovative designs and creative mixes of fabrics. The way she talks about her process and suggests ways to develop and expand upon your own is particularly interesting. After my recent improv experience, using a ruler or template seemed kind of unappealing until I saw "Vintage Spin".


It is an intriguing pattern with lots of movement and already beautiful versions are popping up everywhere. Kathy challenges her readers to stop collecting fabric and start using it especially older prints that may have been sitting on a shelf for years. I have a huge collection of check shirtings purchased and thrifted ages ago with the intention of making shirts for M. I decided to combine some of them with a Joel Dewberry fat quarter bundle.



For "Vintage Spin", you sew wedges into circles and then cut them down to square blocks. This is my first one. Mine differs from the original in that my wedge is a different angle so there are 4 extra blades. This technique produces a fair bit of waste so you must check out the most amazing blocks Wanda made with her leftovers.  This is a fun design and making the blocks could become pretty addictive...


Lastly, am so excited to shyly write that my improv quilt was picked as a potential contribution to Sherri Lynn Wood's "The Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters"! It was shipped to the photographer on Monday. I don't want to jinx myself as it could end up on whatever the publishing equivalent is of the cutting room floor but have fingers crossed and am smiling euphorically.


20 comments:

  1. This is so exciting! I can't wait to see your quilt, I am sure I will love it.
    Those stars are so cool, great idea!
    How big are you going to make your quilt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kelly! I'm hoping I can contain the size of it to roughly 5x6 feet or so but we'll see...

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the very exciting news. Kathy's book is great isn't it. She never fails to be an inspiration. Your first vintage spin block looks wonderful! Those blocks look addictive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachael! I always joke that I would emigrate to Australia just for the quilting:)

      Delete
  3. Vintage Sp[in is on my to do list - I think the patterns in her latest book are great, about 6 in there I could make!
    I love the colours you have chosen for your Vintage, it's going to look super.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not attracted to many pattern books but anything from Kathy Doughty or other Aussies is always a must buy!

      Delete
  4. Yea! Congratulations!! I've heard your quilt is one of only 22 out of 164 entries. I'll so look forward to seeing it next year! Oh, and I'm drooling over your shirtings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nifty! I hope it makes it in. Husband no longer dresses like a hipster 19th century farmer and I learned to make quilts so the timing of the fate of the shirtings is working out:)

      Delete
  5. I am drooling over your fabric selection! And a big congrats on your quilt being chosen--very exciting news.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Audrey! Can't get too excited until the book comes out. As for the fabrics I'm trying to use what I have and mix the two styles. Will see how it turns out:)

      Delete
  6. Congratulations. Can't wait to see your quilt, I am sure it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jeannie! Making the quilt was a fascinating process but like I wrote above I won't know it made it in until Sherri Lynn finalizes her choices:)

      Delete
  7. Congrats....that's wonderful news!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marianne! Am hoping "potential" contributor becomes "actual" so fingers and toes will be crossed for next few months...

      Delete
  8. Kathy's book is wonderful isn't it? And huge congrats on your improv quilt being chosen, though I'm not surprised!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cathy! I'm simultaneously thrilled and nervous. As for the book, I couldn't agree with you more- Kathy's latest is wonderful!

      Delete
  9. Congratulations Susannah! That's so exciting! I yet have to buy my copy of Kathy's book. Can't wait to see your version of this quilt. I love the fabrics already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sujata! I tend to buy technique or art source books rather than patterns ones but ones by those Aussies are another story:)

      Delete