Saturday, March 29, 2014

folk art masterpiece...




Here is another beautiful (and sold- sadly not to me) quilt from 1stDibs. I love the fresh colors on the crisp background and the charming variety of the motifs. It is not often that you see a giraffe and a whale in the same quilt! It was aptly described by the dealer as a folk art masterpiece.



It has me thinking about making an applique quilt of my own with images of horses. I rode for years and have been toying with the idea of starting again. My fear is that if I fall off, I won't bounce like I used to. It might be safer and satisfying to sew a quilt. Am thinking solids or small prints on a pale grey background- something to make leisurely over the next year or two... 




8 comments:

  1. Go for it!
    I love the quilt, I would like to do something like that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a great quilt along because it is such a personal kind of quilt. It would be neat to see many variations...

      Delete
  2. I remember my Mom piecing a galloping horse quilt using wool in grey, maroon, speckled black and tan colors. She had whip stitched down each horse in a square muslin using black sewing thread. This was in the early 1970's. I can't recall if she used sashing with cornerstones or alternate nine-patch squares. There is a quilt pattern that used the same 'weather vane' horse shape but with an embroidered cowboy in chaps, twirling a lariat in the alternate squares from the late 1950's. My Mom's 'pattern' consisted of tracings on brown paper and newsprint.
    I look forward to seeing your design. I love your fans!
    Delia in RB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Delia. Your Mom's quilt sounds amazing!!!

      Delete
  3. great idea - I love this quilt and your idea of horses is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb! There seem to be lots of cat and dog quilts in the world as well as farm animals but a surprising lack of horse ones. I can't decide whether to make just horses or include images of all kinds of things...

      Delete
  4. That's a beautiful quilt! I too like the idea of horses on the quilt. In my experience, if my memories are connected with the project, I always have better chance at sticking with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect if you made one Sujata it would have much more exotic imagery than horses!

      Delete