Wednesday, March 26, 2014

binding quilts...


The incredible Sherri Lynn Wood is coming out with a book called "The Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters" to be published in Spring 2015. I was thrilled to be a test quilter which means I have been squirrelled away for the last few weeks sewing my brains out in every free moment to meet the deadline. Only a few of the test quilts will make it into the book but there will be an online gallery where everyone's work can be viewed with the book's release. Whether mine makes it into the actual publication or not, it was a fantastic experience and I learned an enormous amount. The scraps above are what I can show until next year...


I did use 2 tools to finish the quilt which I wanted to recommend. The first is Clover's Wonder Clips. I've used clothes pins before to bind a quilt but these were far superior. They are small, super strong and the bended edge fits neatly around the binding to hold it securely in place while you sew. There is no distortion, shifting or potential injury like with pins. They come in different sizes and although expensive have become more widely available. When they are on sale, am going to snap more of them up...



The second tool I used is TMQ's The Binding Tool. It made for a foolproof finish in joining the beginning and ending of the binding. I  found the written instructions hard to follow which is probably my own failing but Missouri Quilt Co has maded this great video which explains how to use the tool perfectly...

Am excited to catch up on favourite blogs and Instagram in the next couple of days so expect a flurry of comments on all your beautiful work!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, how exciting! those fabrics piled together look scrumptious! looking forward to the book release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi. It was so much fun to participate whether mine is picked or not. Sherri Lynn Wood is the most amazing artist and teacher so you know her book is going to good!

      Delete
  2. What a great opportunity. I bet your quilt will be chosen :) And I LOVE my Wonder Clips. I use them all the time when I roll up one end of my Triangles On A Roll paper. Plus I use them when I bind a quilt too. Best invention ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nedra! I don't dare to hope for inclusion in the book. Never thought of using the clips to roll things other than binding. Clever idea!
      Susannah

      Delete
  3. Good for you, entering the challenge! I'll look forward to seeing your quilt--although I hate waiting--next year. Your horses look great. Are these the paper templates you'll use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nifty! The horses are templates cut out of construction paper. Am trying to decide how to layer them...

      Delete