Saturday, February 22, 2014

less ironing...


One of the peculiarities of being a textile person is that I'll spend hours pressing, steaming and blocking hand knits, newly sewn seams or the most fiddly quilt blocks but hate ironing ready made clothing. Since Mary Ellen Best Press is a great alternative to starch, was curious to try "I Hate Ironing" on one of my husband's shirts and some badly wrinkled fabric scraps.

You spray the wrinkled item, smooth with your hands and hang to dry or lay flat in the case of my test scraps. The product is non-toxic and biodegradable. It worked really well on the scraps but I was more interested in the clothing test of the dreaded men's shirt.  Here is the shirt before:


And the fairly fantastic after!


For a dress shirt you would definitely want to break out the iron but for casual attire or last minute pressing this product is a worthy addition to the laundry room.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I don't think it could replace ironing entirely but definitely a portion of it!

      Delete
  2. I'm just like you: pressing quilt stuff? Let me at it!
    Iron a piece of clothing? Never mind, I'll just wear something else.
    Thanks for the product tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! This is what makes knits so great...

      Delete