Monday, December 2, 2013

challenge 4 art #3...



The theme of our online art group Challenge 4 Art for this quarter was WINTER. Canada is a country which has a long and cold one. You have to embrace it or go crazy. One of the first signs that winter is coming is when the snow fences go up everywhere. They are made of a very distinctive orange plastic mesh and help direct drifting snow. They delineate cliffs, river banks and roads whose edges might be otherwise dangerously obscured. To make my piece, I took a shot of my dog playing in the first light snow of the season that thankfully did not stay on the ground for long.



I edited the shot in iPhoto- cropping out Her Majesty and bumping up the color saturation. I played with an arrangement of multiple images before printing them on silk organza. The organza came in pre-prepared sheets from Dharma Trading which is the most phenomenal supply house for textile crafts of every kind.


                              


The organza prints were sewn together with the paper backing on to prevent slippage. Then the paper was removed. Originally I planned to use the sheer printed organza over a background fabric for a ghost-like effect until I made an exciting (to me) discovery...



Quite by accident my test shot ended up on a shiny piece of foil fabric from a Halloween costume. The effect was fascinating. Because the foil fabric mirrors back the image it saturates the colors and makes the photos look 3D like those of a vintage View-Master. Here is another shot with a fabric strip in the middle so that you can see the flat "before" and stereoscopic "after".




In my challenge piece, the fabric slightly glistens behind the snow fence collage. I used gift wrap tape to hold the translucent print and foil fabric together (spray mount showed through as a splotch), then layered and quilted the piece. It was really easy to sew.




The finished mini is about 10" square. As in the other challenges, trying new techniques has been so much fun. While I have mixed feelings about my finished quilt, I am thrilled with the discovery of layering the reflective fabric behind the sheer. The next experiment will be making my own silk organza sheets for a large format printer using freezer paper for a backing. The paired fabrics are so light and colorfast you could make clothing out of them with your own digital prints like the work of designer Mary Katrantzou. It is really hard to capture with the camera but this layering is a gorgeous effect and one that I'm definitely going to explore further...

Check out what everyone else made for WINTER!

Lisa: Love to Color My World
Amy: Crafty Shenanigans
Claudia will be back for challenge#4

14 comments:

  1. I am so impressed by your technique - it looks really effective! And I remember those orange 'fences' from when I was a kid though they are not something I see here in the UK!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Am enjoying veering away from my usual aesthetic in these challenges. I like the graphic quality of the orange fences against the snow. Might make a quilt out of solid cotton inspired by them. Do you miss the winter here?

      Delete
  2. Very cool! How do you come up with all these neat techniques/products to try? Nice happy accident of discovering the reflective fabric, too. I love the repeat of the fence in your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks L (Ellie Q)! There is always something new to try- surfing the online sites like Dharma. Am enjoying experimenting in these small challenges using techniques that might be unappealing on a large scale. I think for #4 I'm going back "home" to solid cottons:)

      Delete
  3. I think challenges are such a great way to try out something you might never try. I never would have thought of the snow fences, very clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! Apparently, there is a wanna-be art quilter in me in anything under 2" ft square...:)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Nedra! Kindergarten for grown-ups:)

      Delete
  5. Wow! You are very innovative! This piece is really lovely. I like your repetition of the image x 3, and your thoughtful rendition of winter in your area. I'm sure the foil look is stunning in person. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much LeeAnn! Something about these challenges is making me explore in ways I never would on a larger quilt...

      Delete
  6. I love the layered effect and your idea of using a larger format for garments. I agree that small challenge pieces are fun to work on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane! I've already spoken to someone with a 48" wide printer that prints on poly. We're going to experiment with the silk in the New Year. BTW I love your 15 Minutes Play mini Amish!

      Delete
  7. Well done! I have always wanted to do a quilt based on snow fences!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Greta! Sorry about the long response time but we lost power for days in the ice storm. We just got it back as well as phone and internet. It has been a harrowing Christmas:)
      Susannah

      Delete