Wednesday, November 13, 2013

dresdens dresdens everywhere...



Do you ever have odd coincidences occur?

I've become addicted to online courses at sites like Craftsy and in this instance CreativeBug. My schedule is erratic and I love learning in my pajamas and get a textile fix that is more economical than fabric shopping. Also sewing time is scarce these days...

This week, I finished watching the "Dresden Plates" class taught by Kathy Doughty of Material Obsession fame. She teaches how to construct this classic block. More interestingly she takes you through her process of auditioning fabrics for the blocks. She discusses for each one the fabric she likes, those she doesn't and more importantly why they do or don't work. She mixes all genres of print in the most fascinating ways. I love watching creative people work creatively. This process is usually silent but in this class you get to briefly be in KD's very visual head.

Catching up on my favorite blogs today, I came across this recent post by Andie about some Dresden blocks she found at an antiques show. She's decided to mix her blocks with traditional fabrics. She is a super quilter and I look forward to seeing what she makes with them.

Finally this afternoon, with Dresden Plates on the brain I went to Goodwill with a carload of donations and found these vintage blocks sitting forlornly on a shelf in the thrift store. Needless to say they came home with me.  I think these Dresdens are going to end up paired with some modern prints but first they need some attention. They are dirty and need a wash. Any suggestions on the best way to get them clean?

November... The month of Dresden.


10 comments:

  1. Oh you are so lucky! I found some basket blocks that I am still trying to figure out how to put together.....I would suggest maybe soaking them in a quilt wash type soap in cold water? I am no expert but I think I would want them cleaned some how or other.
    I love those little spikes that stick out a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly for the advice! Perhaps we should have a vintage block sew along? What are you planning to do with your baskets?

      Delete
  2. Great find! I've never seen this type of Dresden. They will be wonderful paired with something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nifty! I was pretty excited as this kind of find rarely happens at a thrift store in my city. Given its size there are not that many quilters...

      Delete
  3. Try them on polka dot fabric - I placed a set of vintage dresden plate blocks on Michael MIller multi-colored Lolli Dot. I loved the effect. Looking forward to seeing your ideas. Elizabeth W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion Elizabeth! Perhaps a combination of dots and stripes? Am intrigued and want to see yours!

      Delete
  4. Yes, I've been having the same thing happen with Triangles. I'm telling you, it's that Like Energies Attract thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you and your post about this energy attraction thing! Do you think you attracted your "Triangles On a Roll" job or did the job start you attracting triangles?

      Delete
  5. the dresdans are lovely. My neighbour uses an oxy-clean product. it worked really well on fabric she thought was a medium cream, turned out is was a lovely warm white.

    ReplyDelete