Monday, October 7, 2013

one day of sun during a storm...



Have not made anything much lately as my father had a stroke. It was a great shock to everyone as his diet, weight and fitness level are exemplary. I can write these sentences now only because he appears to be recovering nicely. One worry free day was spent at a Kaffe Fassett workshop last week. There are certain teachers that should be on every quilter's young or old "bucket list" to take a class with and KF is one of them. It was challenging to work with such saturated and dense floral prints with nary a solid or white-based fabric in sight! The class was interesting as he and Brandon Mably teach by a kind of osmosis. It is hard to articulate by what means but they show you how to see color and light through their eyes. Both have an unerring sense of design. You work independently and they circulate the studio stopping only to pull out the perfect fabric that suddenly makes everything look so much better. The pattern is "Chintz" from "Kaffe Quilts Again".




On the left is mine early in the day and next to me is my friend Karen's. Hers turned out to be my favorite!


10 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your Father, I hope he continues to get better every day. Having a class with Kaffe and Brandon is fabulous isn't it? I love both yours and Karens! Such saturated, cheerful colour! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy! It was a wonderful escape...

      Delete
  2. Yes sorry to hear about your dad but glad he is feeling better. What a shock it must have been.
    I love love your quilt! The colors are so pretty I am sure they must have lifted your spirits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a shock. He runs 5 days a week which is 5 times more than I do! It was guilty fun to do the workshop...

      Delete
  3. Sorry to read about your Dad, but pleased that he feeling somewhat better.
    Kaffe Fassett fabrics - love them - have you seen the new range?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mystic! I have not seen the new range- More temptation?!

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear about your dad :( Know that prayers are being sent your way. I've met Kaffe, but it's always been on my bucket list to someday take a class from him. His fabrics are the only ones I collect. What a great pick me up to be able to fill that dream, especially at this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole experience was fascinating! Never thought I'd get the chance to take a class with him. You must- given how much you love his prints! Thank you so much for your good wishes...

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear about your father. I hope his recovery continues to go well. I took a class from Kaffe and Brandon during my first year of quilting. I was so excited, I kept to myself and hid in a corner. I couldn't believe how others were treating him like he was just a regular person. Your quilt is fantastic! Keep going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you LeeAnn! My father is doing phenomenally well! You sure started your quilting life with a bang. I'd love to see the quilt from your KF workshop. It was definitely a day spent with rock stars...

      Delete