Friday, August 16, 2013

final St. Louis blocks...


Yeah- I finished the final blocks. Like in the previous post, the photo does not show the duplicate ones. Am ready to put this together but have a few technical issues to figure out. This sucker is huge: that is, 49 blocks arranged 7 X 7 that are 16" each for a king size total of 112" square. Mine are larger than the tutorial's 14" because I used my 4 1/2" strip die on the cutter to quickly prepare all the fabric. I was worried this quilt will be too big but my husband not so tactfully pointed out that we are getting plumper and probably need more surface area to cover us up?! Am not sure where to lay the blocks out to arrange something this large and how on earth to quilt this top. Am open to any and all suggestions...

14 comments:

  1. Did your husband say that with a smile?? funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, with a smile and being a very smart man said "we"!

      Delete
  2. Too funny! That is a huge quilt...probably off to the long arm if it was me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, I may need a pro on this one!

      Delete
  3. If it's big, I always use the floor to figure out the layout.:) Love the colors you're using!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Audrey! I think you are right- maybe the floor and a ladder to look down on the layout. It is too big for the design wall...

      Delete
  4. The blocks are all wonderful together. I think lay it out the best you can, and don't worry too much about the placement. It's going to work beautifully, no matter what you do. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you LeeAnn! I will take your advice and not over-think the arrangement...

      Delete
  5. Soo funny...thank your husband for a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will but I can't help wishing his comment wasn't so accurate!

      Delete
  6. Love love love your fabric choices! So juicy and rich - like a ripe summer peach!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love the fabric choices in your quilt! I'd use the bed or the floor to decide on a layout. I have worked in quarters to lay out a quilt that is too large for my design wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane! I ended up using the floor and my camera. Have the final layout. Now just need some time:)

      Delete