Friday, June 7, 2013

quilt alliance...



Small quilts are so appealing and great for trying new techniques. Their very size makes them easy to finish and if the outcome is disastrous the investment in time and materials isn't too great. In the rush to post about my first art quilt on Saturday, I forgot to write about another small project I recently completed.

Above is my entry for the The Quilt Alliance's "2013 Quilt Contest, Exhibit & Auction". The theme was "Twenty" in celebration of its 20th anniversary. For those of you not familiar with QA, the following paraphrases the Quilt Alliance's goals:

"Quilt Alliance is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to document, preserve and share our quilt heritage by collecting the rich stories that historic and contemporary quilts, and their makers, tell about our nation's diverse peoples and their communities. "




You can spend hours combing through the Quilt Index (one of their projects) looking at beautiful quilts of every conceivable type. There is also video and audio of quilters talking about quilts. While predominantly American, membership is open to anyone. The "Twenty" contest welcomed entries from around the world. Managed to get my donation quilt finished one day before the deadline of June 1st. I wanted my design to look like a logo for the event.

The final small quilt to share came from a friend's guild's Silent Auction where I bid on and won this little sweetie. The picture does not do it justice. Why is yellow so hard to photograph? Anyway, the quilt is called "Lemon Drops". It was created and quilted by Doris Lovadina-Lee. I just love it.



By a strange coincidence that same night, I won a lemon-themed box of bath goodies from The Body Shop as a door prize! I never win anything so am a bit concerned that I've forfeited a future lottery win... 



8 comments:

  1. The 20 one reminds me of those tests they give to see if a person is colour blind - perhaps this is a quilt blind testing quilt,,karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all those wonderful dot fabrics. I should have made a twenty quilt, but I didn't really come up with any good ideas. This is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jane! I wasn't going to make one either because inexplicably I thought the deadline was July 1st. Had an idea at the last minute and decided to go for it. Kind of simple compared to the other entries I've seen though... Next year?

      Delete
  3. Nice job on your 20 quilt. I need to post mine - it is a crossword puzzle of the contest words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra! Would love to see yours! I'm making a similar kind of quilt for my husband's birthday using words that describe him. It is more of a wordsearch than crossword though...

      Delete
  4. Hi:
    I am so happy that Lemon Drops found a great home! I really enjoyed making this quilt and the other two that I donated to the charity auction. I posted pictures of this one and the others on flickr. Photographing quilt projects has been challenging! I try to photograph outdoors in natural light but lately its been raining and grey outside - not great for photography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Doris and welcome! I must check out your other quilts on Flickr. The weather is precisely why I had to shoot "Lemon Drops" indoors hence the lousy lighting. Hope to bid on more of your work at the next auction. I love this little quilt. Thank you so much!

      Delete