Saturday, June 1, 2013

challenge 4 art...



I was so excited when Lisa from Color My World  asked me to join an online art quilt group called "Challenge 4 Art". The remaining two participants of the four are Amy and Claudia. The goal is to make 4 quilts in a year with a specific theme all measuring under 25" square. The first theme was GROWTH.

I decided to make a quilt about the city I live in. In March when I joined this group, Toronto became the 4th largest city in North America after New York, Los Angeles and Mexico City. It is the cultural, entertainment and financial capital of Canada and of particular significance to this household it is also called "Hollywood North". Lately, the most un-Torontonian Mayor of Toronto has been generating negative headlines but he is decidedly not a good representative of this rather sophisticated city. Everywhere you look there are construction cranes and buildings that seem to pop up over night. More than 100 languages other than English are spoken here. All of this diversity makes for interesting dining, exciting festivals and miserable driving. Due to the extraordinary expansion of the city gridlock is now worse here than the famed highways of L.A.

My quilt looks complex but once I figured out my process it was incredibly easy to make. I took a screen capture of the city at Google Earth:



I made a quick sketch of the aerial view and then scanned it to my computer. Using this great App called SplitPrint I printed and tiled my sketch onto EQ Printables to use as a foundation. The measurement of the quilt is 16" x16".




I cut up 3" squares of fabric that I thought looked urban as well as some strips of earth tones for surrounding farmland and blues for the lake. All of the fabrics were ironed to Steam-A-Seam2.




Using the foundation as a guide, when I had spare time, I cut out shapes and then finger pressed them on. It was just like doing a jigsaw puzzle. After a final press, I sewed around all the raw edges with dark thread hoping to evoke roadways.

The piece was started ages ago but unfortunately the binding is not quite finished. While it looks complicated, this technique was fast and easy. It was lots of fun to make and I look forward to sewing the next one. You can see what everyone else created at their blogs below...

Lisa: Love to Color My World
Amy: Crafty Shenanigans
Claudia: Machen und Tun

40 comments:

  1. Susannah, this is absolutely great! What a fab idea and i love the way you made it.. Really impressive and surprising and cool! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claudia! I love how different everyone's interpretations of Growth look...

      Delete
  2. I LOVE IT!! Thanks for showing us how you made it. I'm looking forward to seeing your other creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LeeAnn! It was super fun...

      Delete
  3. This is amazing!! Whata great interpretation of 'growth'. I grew up in Newmarket, just north of Toronto so I love hearing your 'news' about the city! I left almost 13 years ago and no family live in the area anymore so I never get back. I went to OCA (now OCAD) in 1993-1994. Seems like an age ago!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy we are living the reverse of each other. I was born in London! In 1993-1994 was living in California...

      Delete
  4. this is an amazing quilt!! so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susannah, I love this! It looks so complex, so it was interesting to read how you made it. It is so cool! I especially love the contrast of the swirling, organic water with the geometric shapes of the city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! This was such a new experience. Thank you so much for including me!

      Delete
  6. wow, that is so creative! What a great keepsake, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nedra. It will be a good souvenir for if/when we move!

      Delete
  7. loved hearing about your process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie! I'm definitely going to use this technique again...

      Delete
  8. I absolutely love this....thanks fir sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great way to make a map quilt, and what a great project in the growth theme! Very impressive and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susie! It was loads of fun...

      Delete
  10. This really is beautiful! Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Thank you so much Bill! Am going to try the same thing on a larger quilt...

      Delete
  12. What a great piece of art, I love it!
    (removed first comment it didn't make sense thanks to one right hand having had surgery!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maureen. Hope your hand is better soon!

      Delete
  13. wow - great idea and great quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barb! I think I'm going to use the same method now that I know it works to make something bigger...

      Delete
  14. I just saw this on flickr and wanted to come by here and say that this is so cool! :)
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ellie tipped me off to the forming of your four/art group patterned after ours, so I'm hopping around to see your first finish.

    I was blown away by your rendition of your city, and I loved how you told about your reasons for choosing this--the urban growth can have both good repercussions and bad (so sorry to hear your traffic is like ours here in LA--my sympathies!). I think your technique strengthened the vision of what you were trying to do, right down to the quilting, so that the overall piece really communicates the vision of a growing city.

    Congratulations on your first art quilt finish--
    Elizabeth E.
    opquilt.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Elizabeth for your comment! I must have a look at what your group made. I know Miss Ellie Q was so inspired by your quilts...

      Delete
  16. Stunning...can't wait to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! Perhaps you can see it over dinner some time soon?

      Delete
  17. wonderful quilt, thanks for sharing your process

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this too... I may try one day with my town's pic (Toulouse, France). I'll tell you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your comment. Please send me a photo if you try the technique. I would love to see Toulouse in fabric!

      Delete
  19. Peter Reeve-NewsonMarch 16, 2015 at 3:51 PM

    Recognized 'Toronto' right away on Erika Schwartz's Pinterest "Things to Sew" page.
    Great piece, surprised that there's so much detail in this small size. Congrats.
    p.s. Do you attend York Heritage or Etobicoke or Yorkshire Rose guilds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Peter and welcome! Have written you a longer reply privately.

      Delete