Friday, March 15, 2013

too much fruit...


Just as I expected, my pineapple quilt is becoming a bit of an endurance test. It was suggested that I sew blocks together as I finish them but this is too dangerous a proposition. Am already looking at the completed ones and thinking that they would make a great crib quilt or table runner and placemats. After all, a white-based quilted item is always practical for babies and food :((  !!##$@!!!

Another issue is that for some strange mathematical reason (read miscalculation), I am making 122 blocks so am struggling a bit with the layout. To actually use on a bed- the rectangular shape is a better bet but to look at- the square one seems more appealing right now. What is keeping me going is that the finished blocks look pretty good and I do want to prove to myself that I can show some discipline and complete this quilt...



On a more positive note, to break up this routine I am very excited to be taking a class in the next couple of days with Pamela Allen whose amazing work is the antithesis of the pineapple quilt. There is not a ruler to be found on the materials list! You can see more images of this wonderful artist's creations here. Will definitely write about the experience as am sure it will be a memorable one. Have a great weekend everyone!



10 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear about this class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing even though that word is overused!

      Delete
  2. I have been making more square quilts recently. They work just fine on our queen sized beds. I usually aim for about 80 x 80 or so. If you add borders you can get to a bigger size, if you like. I love the look of this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane! I think you are right and am going to make it square...

      Delete
  3. I love your pineapple blocks and can't wait to see them all together. It is going to be a cool quilt.
    The class looks interesting....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelly! The class was amazing. Am going to her lecture tonight and then I'll write about the experience which was awesome...

      Delete
  4. Keep working on the pineapple quilt. It's going to be gorgeous!I know what you mean though.. My toran quilt is on the table on one side, sadly looking at me to be continued on. It is tough when we must find the discipline to finish one quilt. I love Pamela Andersen's quilt. Going to read the next post and check out what you did in the class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I meant Pamela Allen? Hmmm... Silly me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of like the idea of Pamela Anderson as a closeted quilter!

      Delete