Thursday, January 24, 2013

pineapple...



I've been in a real slump creatively lately. A dear friend advised that I should just start and make anything without over-thinking the design part of the project. Looking through my images of vintage quilts for inspiration, I found this one which sparked a little something...




It is a pineapple quilt probably from the 1800's. What is interesting about this one is that it is made of a single striped fabric on muslin. The patterned fabric has faded so that the backgrounds merge. It looks like someone has drawn crosshatches with a red pen. I've started making blocks in batches of six with a bin of scrap white-based shirting strips. Some of the strips are cut on grain and others wildly off grain. They are not finished but here are the first blocks with four rounds completed. I'm hoping for a similar drawn effect as in the antique quilt but with more colors. Am not sure that it is successful at this stage but the process is fun and it feels good to be sewing again...




18 comments:

  1. Wow! This is so exciting. It's going to be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks LeeAnn! Here's hoping it kickstarts my proverbial mojo... Do you ever slump?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is fabulous I love it, keep going!!!! I cannot wait to see this one finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! Hmmm... Me finishing something- what a concept!:)

      Delete
  4. You've got some great stripes that really make that quilt block pop. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh! That looks great! So glad you're back! :)
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never wanted to even think about doing a pineapple until I saw your inspiration quilt and what you have now made of it. Oh me oh my. Glad that you are enjoying it because it is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jane! I never thought about making one either because repetition is not my thing. Right now the mindlessness of it is so relaxing. I just have to show some discipline when the soothing effect wears off to make enough blocks to make an actual quilt!

      Delete
  7. Love!! I've got a little bit of a thing for stripes right now. Been buying them like mad. I think this pineapple project will be deelish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andie! Stripes, dots, plaids and checks are all faves... Anything graphic! What are you going to make with your stripes?

      Delete
  8. This will make a very cool quilt!! Go for it!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is wonderful. I love the effect you are getting with those beautiful stripes. Lovely xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy! Am hoping to carve out more time to sew more this week as I think the quilt needs lots of blocks to get the right effect...

      Delete