Thursday, January 31, 2013

more pineapple...





Badly lit, un-sewn and poorly pressed here's a shot of the first 12 pineapple blocks. So far I like the effect of the uneven stripes and their off kilter movement. Was asked how I am making this quilt. I started off using a conventional ruler but it was time consuming and my cutting completely inaccurate. Someone suggested foundation piecing but while precise that's not the way I want to be sewing right now. In the middle of the night last week, I remembered buying Gyleen Fitzgerald's "Trash to Treasure" book and specialty ruler for making pineapple quilts. True to form, I purchased the set, put it away and promptly forgot about it. Basically you sew log cabin style around a central square trimming after every row with the ruler. Unlike other products I've seen, this tool is very simple to use with few registration lines. It has made the process of making these blocks mindless and enjoyable. One of my favorite bloggers described making a certain quilt block as being like potato chips as in you can't just have one. With this ruler the same can be said about these pineapple units. I'm having fun and just have to carve out more sewing time. You can find Gyleen's excellent book and ruler set here...



26 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love the use of the striped fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look fantastic! Glad you found an easy method too. Normally pineapple blocks aren't relaxing... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellie. I can't believe it is relaxing either!

      Delete
  3. This quilt is a knock out! I may have to make one someday too. Glad it's an enjoyable process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LeeAnn! It is fun... I may become a ruler convert after all!

      Delete
  4. I love your use of stripes for this quilt. Unevenness of it makes it cooler.. I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sujata! I wasn't sure I was getting the intended effect until I put a few together...

      Delete
  5. Fantastic use of stripes! Will truly be a spectacular, way above usual "pineapple" quilt. And now I want one of those rulers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Ms. Venus! I can't imagine making this kind of quilt any other way now...

      Delete
  6. Why thank you Ms. Venus! I can't imagine making this kind of quilt any other way now...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your striped fabrics are wonderful for this pineapple quilt! It looks great from here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nedra! I hope it turns out well. I'm going to have to be disciplined once the novelty wears off because it is intended to be bed size so there are lots of blocks to make:)

      Delete
  8. I really love the way this looks. I want to run to a thrift shop and buy up all their stripped shirts to start this. I really like the way the blocks are set and the anvils that appear as a secondary pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm hmmm. This works, lady. Loving the movement and the colors. Can't wait to see this finished...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks A! You have to nag me to finish!!!

      Delete
  10. I had enjoyed seeing her on The Quilt Show. I would love to make one myself. Cool color choices

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought she was great too... I love all these engineer types who figure out how to make complicated things easy!

      Delete