Wednesday, July 18, 2012

kathy doughty...



When you start out doing something it is often hard to find "your people". Generally I like a mix of clean graphic blocks made up in strong and often bright or modern fabrics. The quilts I love and want to make are not quite traditional and wouldn't be characterized as art ones. I love the rather busy play of color and pattern on color and pattern. Through the internet, I found my quilt "home" in Australia at Material Obsession a place that is geographically thousands of miles away. At the helm of this wonderful store and group of inspiring quilters is Kathy Doughty. I loved her previous books and was thrilled to receive her new solo effort "Making Quilts... The Promise of Joy" published by Quiltmania. It is filled with beautiful patchwork, gorgeously photographed in rural settings and shot in that very unique "Down Under" light. Most interesting is that Kathy gives lots of space in her new book to explaining her influences, goals and creative thought processes behind every design. The book is divided into three sections: Optical Illusion, Tradition With a Twist and Folk Art Inspiration. There are many beautiful quilts and it is impossible to choose a favorite. As well, it is hard to write about this book without spoiling the surprise of discovery. Will say, it is worth getting "Making Quilts" just to see the creative ways she uses one of the best Kaffe fabrics "Marquee Stripe"...





For example "Marquee Diamonds"...




Other great quilts include "Fractured"...


"Uzbek Patches" detail...


and "Pheasantville"...




If the book isn't enough, Quilter's Companion has just published a special issue called "Old Quilts Made New". The magazine is filled with lovely designs but the real draw is a DVD with Kathy called "Recreating Old Quilt Treasures". This dvd is a further explication of her creative process. On the disc is a series of talks in which she shows us how she: finds inspiration, works with fabric including choosing color, pattern and building palettes, uses her favorite specialty tools and shares a myriad of other unique ideas. As you would expect from her blog she is intensely creative and creatively intense. I really enjoyed the dvd in conjunction with reading her new book as watching it is as close to taking a workshop with her as I am likely to come at any time soon. It is tempting to emigrate to Australia just for the quilting. Perhaps, Cathy can explain why her nation produces so much talent. You may purchase both Kathy Doughty's new book and the magazine with dvd at her online store

The "Dreamcatcher" pattern is in the magazine and here is the quilt... Just stunning!


14 comments:

  1. Holy moly those are such amazing quilts. I think I fall in the same category of quilter as you, modern, but not quite 'art' quilts. What inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is just a peek at her wonderful book... It is far more than just patterns!

      Delete
  2. Oh my I love all the colors...you are tempting me to go buy all her stuff! I really like the Dreamcatcher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You won't regret your purchases! Am with you on the Dreamcatcher. It is one of the most beautiful quilts and so simple to construct...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy's book is absolutely on my MUST HAVE list. I want to make everything she makes :) And Dreamcatcher? O.H. M.Y.!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You won't be disappointed... That Dreamcatcher quilt makes my knees weak!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning quilts! Kathy's work is so inspiring. The new book is on my MUST GET list, and I'm going to go check out Quilter's Companion/DVD right now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really hard to not show a dozen shots of her new quilts. She's definitely a "thinking" quilter...

      Delete
  7. Kathy's book is brilliant isn't it!! She's definitely a shining light in the quilt world!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Argh I missed your post, then posted about this book myself....I would have just sent people over to your wonderful post!!! Much more articulate and I love the quilts you have chosen to show. It is an incredible book isn't it? Great post. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Cathy but I really want to know why you think Australia produces such creative quilters and in such a relatively small population?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Making a fractured quilt but I am puzzled about whether each two tone block should be cut on the same angle to keep dark strips same size? Any suggestions welcome. Love your version. Thank you, Beverly Gail visible@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beverley! The shot above is just a screen capture from her book as I have not made this one yet although it is definitely on the list. The instructions have you cut through two fabric layers right side up that are 4 1/2 " by 5" rectangles. Cut through the 5" sides roughly through the middle, swap the colors, sew and then trim down to 4 1/2"make 4" finished blocks. I don't think they have to be exactly the same as the slight variation of the blocks will give the quilt more interest. Hope this helps!

      Delete