Monday, July 9, 2012

blue and white...


Blue and white is a classic combination especially for the summer. I don't know if it is the influence of this endless heat wave but I've been itching to make a blue and white quilt. I found these Marimekko placemats at Crate & Barrel. Wouldn't a quilt inspired by this print be gorgeous in Lotta Jansdottir's Echo fabrics? The pattern looks like strings of beads to me...

My new quilt will be another tile based design and I hope to use these Indian fabrics on the left with a crisp white for the background. If the scale of the prints does not work I may switch them out for some Amy Butler (below right) or Kaffe Fassett fabrics in blue.



Here is the preliminary design:




Hopefully the end result will evoke the gorgeous tiles of Spain like these Andalucian beauties from Fired Earth.





Am very busy these days so am working on a way to speed up making this quilt which I'll post about in a few days... Hope you are all keeping cool!

10 comments:

  1. Wow! I love your tile-inspired block designs. Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Still haven't decided if I have the guts to make the pieces really small...

      Delete
  2. If your quilt ends up looking anything like the tiles from Spain, you will have another winner!
    Beautiful blues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I hope it turns out as nice as it is in my head...

      Delete
  3. I love blue and white and tile designs, I've been thinking of a design with these two mediums too. Can't wait to see yours. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous! I'm a sucker for blue and white - I think mostly because my house was blue and white growing up. (lots of Laura Ashley wallpaper) You've inspired me to learn more about African and Asian textiles. They're so delicious and decadent! I bought some fabric from Ghana at the IQF show in April. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh! You must post pics of the fabric from Ghana. Am a bit obsessed at the moment with translating the decorative arts into fabric. Tiles, china, woodwork... Its all fair game!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Susannah. I like the way you've been incorporating tile designs into your work and posts lately. Really lovely on all levels. And of course the blue and white is a favorite. Love your fabrics!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting.
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much N! I really enjoy your posts-am often simultaneously saddened and amused by them...

      Delete