Wednesday, June 20, 2012

nqr...square foot gardening...





Well I'm back... It was a disconcerting experience to be untethered to the digital world. At first there was separation anxiety being away from the internet. After a couple of days, the experience was completely enjoyable. Realized that very often I spend what little free time I have reading about what creative people are making rather than making things myself. Must strike a better balance between doing my own thing and being inspired by all my blog pals' amazing projects... 

One of the things we did on our "staycation" was finish our newly built and planted vegetable beds. We are huge fans of Square Foot Gardening. The basic premise is that you create this very dense growing environment with a moisture retaining super soil for maximum growth and minimum weeding. You can garden this way in a large space or even on a condo balcony. We heartily recommend this book. Our previous attempts have been insanely successful. Here is the before and after so far:

May 29th...



June 17th...

8 comments:

  1. Wow. that is awesome. I am a big fan of Square Foot Gardening and have modeled my garden after this idea. I also like the Victory Garden methods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very easy once the beds are made. I don't know what the VG methods are so I'll have to read up!

      Delete
  2. I'm a terrible gardener (hate weeding, bad at watering consistently), but seeing this makes me want to try! What a neat idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really works! All you have to do is water and pick your fruit and veg...

      Delete
  3. Very cool! Those spiral climbers look really great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know how well they'll work but I like the look of them too!

      Delete
  4. Where did you get the spiral climbers from?

    ReplyDelete