Wednesday, June 6, 2012

color challenge #10... purple...







This week's 10th challenge is purple. For some reason purple conjures up scents and tastes for me- lilac trees but also Baskin Robbins "Oregon Blackberry" ice cream from my childhood. On a more stinky note, there was a time in the 80's when every woman wore Dior's "Poison" perfume which always smelled like grape bubble gum to me.

Here are the added fabrics with the starter on the lower left. This week's challenge was difficult because I had very little fabric to work with. I ended up adding some deep pink, royal blue, some hints of red and brown. Like my other blocks the fabric is made from Kaffe Fassett scraps. The block is drafted from a photo of an antique tile...






Participating in these challenges has really revealed color likes and dislikes that were previously subconscious. I have very little purple in the stash and could not say why...

6 comments:

  1. That block is beautiful! Your color selections are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kelly! These color challenges are absorbing. I feel very virtuous using up scraps instead of buying more fabric! We'll see how long that lasts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your color challenge blocks are wonderful, and so are the other images in the posts with each. This is indeed shaping up into a beatiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy! Am getting to the stage I have start thinking about how to quilt it...

      Delete
  4. This block and the previous one are soooo luscious, Susannah. Over the top!
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks N! Am hoping when it is finished that it looks somewhat like a tiled floor from your part of the world...

      Delete