Thursday, May 3, 2012

color challenge #4... peach...







Peach was a tough test this week because I own very little of this color. Was hard pressed to find a single fat quarter. Like in the other blocks it is easier to combine fabric scraps if I have an image in my head. Perhaps because these challenges have kindled a certain nostalgia I kept thinking of the Grand Canyon. There was a time in the 80's when regardless of your geography every home, retail store and restaurant interior evoked the American SouthWest. My sister had a steer skull mounted on an exposed brick wall in her first place. For the record, the closest this city girl ever got to a cow was on her dinner plate. In my block, peach became the lightest color. I added terra cotta, salmon, gold, sienna, green and a few hints of blue to symbolize the sky and the Navajo turquoise jewelry that comes from this extraordinary part of the world. Definitely will add more peach to the stash...

The starter fabric is on the lower left and the rest are the added scraps for the "made" fabric.








6 comments:

  1. That's an interesting block.
    Love the jewelery. Is that a ring or a bracelet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been following your blocks and playing along myself in the Color Challenge. I have to say that yours are my favorite every week--I love your block, your piecing, your colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Your comment has made my day!

      Delete
  3. Hi, Susannah. You met the peach (one of my least favorite colors) challenge more than successfully! This particular block looks oriental to me--simply gorgeous!
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nadia! Peach was not a favorite but in the right mix I came around to it...

      Delete