Sunday, April 8, 2012

color challenge... bumble beans inc...




 Victoria  of Bumble Beans Inc has created a series of color challenges that I am thrilled to be participating in. The idea is to explore difficult colors as well as develop and experiment with new palettes using "made" fabric from your scraps. The hope is that the exercises inspire and encourage creativity with color.

The first challenge color is mauve... YUCK!




This is my starter fabric pulled from the depths of a deep and mysterious bin...




These are what I added in the way of tons of scraps sewn together...






Here the "made" fabric is recut and reformed to make this block based on an antique tile design...




The following is a recap of my thought process. Initially, the mauve evoked an image of an 80's dental office and not in a good way. The more I thought about mauve the more it reminded me of a scene in a film from years ago which recreated a Victorian funeral vaguely reminiscent of this image...




A gleaming black hearse was pulled by equally gleaming black ponies with purply/mauve plumes on their heads. They were set against a vivid green and flowered English countryside. For my block, Kaffe Fassett was the "go to guy" for choosing fabrics in the pink and violet families. I also added lots of green which made my mauve fabric look quite tan. Am surprised by how much I like the block as I don't usually gravitate towards chalky pastels. Not sure more mauve is on the shopping list (maybe some lilac) but it was an interesting exercise to use it. Look forward to seeing where Victoria sends us next... Check out her website to read more about what other people made with mauve. This series of color challenges is going to be an interesting journey...
Join in!

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE your BLOCK!!! You ROCKED THE MAUVE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Victoria! I need the brain stretch and look forward to your next choice...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Killed it. As usual. Mauve makes me think of a horrid junior bridesmaid dress I wore in 1983. Wretched.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I think I need to see a photo of you in that dress... Seriously I don't think it is a flattering color for anybody....

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know everything looks better in Kaffes...even mauve. I think I have a bit of that shot cotton in my kaffe stash. Nice job on the block!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nedra... "Everything looks better in Kaffe" should be our official motto!

      Delete
  6. I do NOT like mauve and am surprised how good that block turned out...good job! (The mauve alone certainly reminds me of dental offices; in fact, my dentist's office is STILL mauve. Every time I walk in there, I hope he's kept up with new dental knowledge better than he's done with his interior design skills!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue! I wonder what the official stats are on dental offices and mauve?!

      Delete
  7. Wow I am really loving all your colour challenge blocks - it's funny isn't it, I have all these preconceptions of the colours I don't like and these three are all well in there and yet every single block you've made is fabulous. Also, no getting away from the fact that Kaffe Fassett is a genius all of his own. His fabrics are just something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... Am enjoying the process of making the fabric from all my Kaffe scraps. Before these challenges they were just collecting dust. You should join in!

      Delete