Wednesday, March 28, 2012

eye candy...


I collect art and textile books obsessively. Every so often a new one appears that gives me butterflies in my stomach. "Designs And Patterns From Muhu Island" is the most inspiring book I've devoured in a long time. It chronicles the folk art tradition of a small population of Estonians who essentially competed with each other to make the most distinctive and beautiful clothes as well as housewares. The book is that rare combination of academic history and how-to techniques. It explores this wonderful people's tradition of handicrafts including knitting, embroidery, beading and crochet. The book is made up of 400 pages of textile goodness with lots of charted and unique designs as well as gorgeous photos of the most extraordinary color combinations. The embroideries alone beg to be translated into appliqué quilts... These photos do no justice to the actual pages...


knitting...

beading...


crochet above...
and embroidery...





You may find this magnificent book here for European readers and here for North Americans. Thank you Juju!

4 comments:

  1. Nice inspiration! Love the beaded patteren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a truly beautiful book! I really should have borrowed my husband's camera to take better shots...

      Delete
  2. Blows my mind really. What amazing talent and patience to create these gorgeous gems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of makes me think that The Gap ruined fashion... Most of us all wear such bland uniforms...

      Delete