Wednesday, February 29, 2012

lone star...




It is Fresh Sewing Day and Small Blog Meet today. Thank you to Lynne. Well here it is... This Lone Star is partially sewn and up on the design wall while I agonize over choosing a background fabric.




The quilt seems to want to be noisy. Originally inspired by this, it is morphing into my own take. Instead of putting more mini Lone Stars into the corner blocks, I've decided to make Princess Feather blocks instead as they will give the quilt more movement. Am going to applique motifs of some sort in the triangles although I'm not sure whether these will be flowers or animals or some combination of the two.





Like Kelly from Pinkadot Quilts, I used printed interfacing from Quiltsmart that I bought ages ago. You can read her great visual tutorial about the process here or watch a video from the company's owner on Youtube.





A non-stick teflon or silicone pressing sheet is a must for this technique. I started without out one and made a nasty mess of my iron. Once I got into a rhythm, making the diamonds went really quickly. The points all match perfectly and it was very easy to do. Now there will be a brief pause in this quilt's progress until some of my background options arrive in the mail... So far so fun...




Lily's Quilts

Lily's Quilts

24 comments:

  1. I am so glad you gave it a try, did you like it? The star looks great!
    Which color are you drawn to the most?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I got the hang of it I did! Am leaning towards one of the blue greens. There will be so little of it that is visible it might look better if it is a zippier color. Am open to suggestions:) Thank you for inspiring me to use the interfacing!!! It sat in the closet for too long!

      Delete
    2. Or maybe the emerald? Hence The "agonizing"... haha

      Delete
  2. Looking very cool! I really like the bold prints you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous quilt! I love all the backgrounds, especially the blues & the greens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...Please come over and choose one for me!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think all Lone Stars are impressive, especially yours.
    Well done.
    Now you just need to finish it: go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betty.They do tend to be striking. I've wanted to make one for ages!

      Delete
  6. This is just incredible! Beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heidi. It is the Quiltsmart interfacing. It made the whole process painless!

      Delete
  7. Just stopping by from Lily's small quilt meetup. I've read of your posts and can tell I'll enjoy reading future ones - I too am a huge Downton Abbey fan and I've been looking for a good source for Aurafil - I've never used it before but it seems to be all the rage on the blogs I read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth and welcome! You'll love Aurifil. It's fairly low lint, rarely breaks and the 50wt is great for both piecing and quilting!

      Delete
  8. Love your lone starr , just wonderful!! Cant wait to see it done!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Sandy... Am hoping the background selections choices arrive soon so that I can keep up the momentum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE!!! Dang you're talented. Cannot wait to see this thing completed. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Andie! It may all fall part with the appliqué...

      Delete
  11. wow this is great! I don't think I could ever tackle something like that! popping over from Lily's SBM. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Collette and thank you! I'm not sure I could sew a Lone Star the traditional way either...

      Delete
  12. I like your Lone Star. They are great quilts to make. Jan Krantz used to teach a class at Quilt University a long time ago. I took the class and made a very very bright Lone Star. It was one of the first quilts I ever made. I gave it to my in-laws and they, being very bright people, just loved it. I've always wanted to make another but you know how it goes......so many quilts, so little time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to see how the fabrics interact when the diamonds are assembled. I'd love to see yours! Can you post a photo of it?!!

      Delete