Wednesday, October 5, 2011

new start...


It is funny when you start quilting how many people offer you supplies from a project that they never completed. When it comes to fabric, I am promiscuous and never say no. As a result, I have a huge hoard of very pretty prints that are just not my thing. Decided to use all these predominantly tone on tone florals to make my own striped fabric to try out the Anita Grossman Soloman technique that I wrote about in an earlier post. The amount of fabric to cut was daunting so I turned to my beloved cutter.
When these first arrived on the scene at quilt shows I was a bit sniffy about them. Didn't see the point and thought they would waste too much fabric. My opinion drastically changed when I received an Accuquilt Go Cutter. It handily cuts 4-6 layers and more importantly cuts shapes that are a pain to cut by hand. I got greedy for more power and bought the Westminster Big Shot Pro by Sizzix which cuts through at least 10 layers like butter. In short in an afternoon I cut an enormous pile of fat quarters and half yards and turned them into this:


I stripped everything into 1 1/2" and 2 1/2" widths. The colors range from green and blue through violet with the cheddars and mustards for accents.  They are all perfectly uniform in size and my wrists are happy. Tomorrow I will experiment with stripe patterns and block size. If all goes well this will be my Basics charity quilt...

4 comments:

  1. I'm impressed with the amount of fabric you cut! I keep looking at that GO cutter and saying "no... no..."

    Maybe one day I'll break down and get one, it would be a boon companion when I'm doing scrap management.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Say yes, yes, yes... You won't regret it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow... that is very cool. i think i'm leaning towards putting the cutter on my wish list!
    carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will not regret the purchase!

    ReplyDelete