Friday, September 9, 2011

bumble beans basics cloud 9 challenge...




Everyone seems to be posting their entries so I thought I'd show you the block that I made for the Bumble Beans Basics Cloud 9 Challenge. We were given eight 9" x 11"pieces of Julia Rothman fabric. I pieced the background and appliqued the rings. Wanted to pull in a bit of the floral border so I pieced the left over scraps with the scantest seam allowances and sewed this to the fabric before attaching the center ring. Some of the fabrics are close in value which made designing a block puzzling. Kind of like the way the circles fade in and out from the background. I ended up using all the prints. If you look at the minute number of entries on my blog you might surmise that currently I'm in love with all things curvy and all things tile-like. In my real life too I do tend to get a bit OCD. For example I'll eat Japanese food exhaustively for a month and then move on obsessively to something else. My friend's husband describes this phenomenon as someone having "a whim of iron"...

7 comments:

  1. Holy cow, S! This is so complex and yummy! Love the movement and how, even with all of the prints, it's really cohesive. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it.

    I'm a guest to your area of design speciality (sadly, I was banned from Home Ec. sewing class after an unfortunate 'bobbin' incident riled my long suffering teacher)-but love design and textiles!

    I think Andie perfectly captured my thoughts ..great movement and energy, but not overwhelming--really cohesive and distinct.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks E! I'll get you and H sewing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Andie definitely got it right......great movement in your block and Elliot was right on, too......not overwhelming, realy cohesive and distinct. It's a great block. Everyone made a really unique block. It was fun to be a part of the challenge and I look forward to seeing them all in a finished quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and one more thought......I laughed out loud when I read that you are a bit OCD and will eat something for a month obsessively and move on to something new the next month. Gee........that sounds like me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Sandi. Your block is gorgeous! As for your obsessive comment... I'm glad I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete