Thursday, July 14, 2011

loulouthi progress report

First off, I drafted my source tile into basically a nine patch grid. If you draw vertical and horizontal lines everywhere there is an intersection it is very easy to turn a geometric image into a sewable block pattern of squares and 1/2 square triangles or in this case squares and 1/4 square triangles. After much deliberation, I decided to turn the blocks on point because doing so made the stars spin and look more dynamic.


Here is one block unsewn up on the design wall. The greatest part of the delay on this project was waiting for new background fabric to arrive. I really struggled to find the right color to fall in love with. I tried Avocado green which made some fabrics sing and looked horrific with others. Auditioned in no particular order Espresso brown, Ivory and Sky blue which all made everything go a bit flat. Snow white was a safe and obvious choice but it seemed like a cop out. Finally, I chose an icy pink which looks far more pale and subtle than in the photo above called Pearl. It creates enough of a contrast with and yet enhances all the fabrics in the Loulouthi line. Am hoping that the combination of the bold blocks and intended geometric quilting kills any "sweetness" in the finished look of the quilt. Now am going to sew like mad and get this baby done!

2 comments:

  1. Greetings from Tunisia! Just stopped by from Quilting Bloggers to enjoy your blog. Your quilts are so lovely, and the one that garnered 'best of show' definitely deserved that award!
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nadia!!! I must check out your blog too...

    ReplyDelete